Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Faculty
John J. Callaghan, MD
Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
and Biomedical Engineering
- Medical School - Loyola Medical School
- Residency - Universit of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Fellowships - Hip Fellowship, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, New York;
Fellow in Orthopaedic Surgery, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 1984-Present
- Duke Univ. Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, 1988-1990
- Dept. of Bioengineering Duke University, 1988-1990
- The University of Iowa College of Medicine, 1990-Present
Honors, Awards and Organization
- Academic Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (Diplomat)
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Association for Arthritic Hip and Knee Surgery
- Hibbs Society
- Inter Urban Club
- Irish American Orthopaedic Society
- Mid America Orthopaedic Association
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- Society of Arthritis Joint Surgery, 1988-1992
- Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Southern Medical Association Southern Orthopaedic Association
- The Hip Society
- The Knee Society
- The International Hip Society
- Washington, D.C., Orthopaedic Society, 1984-1988
- Journal of Arthroplasty, Associate Editor
- Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Consultant Reviewer & Associate Editor
- Journal of Biomechanics Consultant Reviewer
- American Journal of Sports Medicine, Consultant Reviewer
- Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, Consultant Reviewer
Clinical and Research Interests
- Total Hip and Knee replacements
- Clinical and Basic Aspects of Hip and Knee Replacement
Recent Publications & Reviews
- Callaghan, J.: Mobile Bearing Knee Replacement: Clinical Results. A Review of the Literature. Clin. Orthop. 392:221-226, November 2001.
- Templeton, J.E., Callaghan, J.J., Goetz, D.D., Sullivan, P.M., Johnston, R.C.: Revision of a Cemented Acetabular Component to a Cementless Acetabular Component. JBJS. 83-A:1706-1711, November 2001.
- Urban, J.A., Garvin, K.L., Boese, C.K, Bryson, L., Pedersen, D.R., Callaghan, J.J., Miller, R.K.: Ceramic-on-Polyethylene Bearing Surfaces in Total Hip Arthroplasty. JBJS. 83-A:1688-1694, November 2001.
- Callaghan, J.J., Heithoff, B.E, Goetz, D.D., Sullivan, P.M., Pedersen, D.R., Johnston, R.C.: Prevention of Dislocation After Hip Arthroplasty: Lessons From Long-Term Follow-up. Clin. Orthop. 393:157-162, December 2001.
- Fetzer, G.B., Callaghan, J.J., Templeton, J.E., Goetz, D.D., Sullivan, P.M., Johnston, R.C.: Impaction Allografting with Cement for Extensive Femoral Bone Loss in Revision Hip Surgery. J Arthroplasty 16:195-202, December 2001.
- Klapach, A.S., Callaghan, J.J., Goetz, D.D., Jason P. Olejniczak, B.A., Johnston, R.C.: Charnley Total Hip Arthroplasty with Use of Improved Cementing Techniques. JBJS. 83-A:1840-1848, December 2001.
- Pedersen, D.R., Callaghan, J.J., Johnston, T.L., Fetzer, G.B., Johnston, R.C.: Comparison of Femoral Head Penetration Rates Between Cementless Acetabular Components with 22 mm and 28 mm Heads. J. Arthroplasty 16:111-115, December 2001.