Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Faculty
John Femino, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor
- Medical School - University of of North Dakota
- Internship - Blodgett Memorial Medical Center, Transitional Internship Program
- Residency - Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, Grace Hospital, Detroit Medical Center
- Fellowship - New England Baptist Hospital, Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Fellowship
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- Michigan Orthopaedic Society
- University of Michigan Orthopaedic Society
- Mid-America Orthopaedic Society
- Iowa Orthopaedic Society
- Iowa Medical Society
- Clinical Instructor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 1997-98
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI 1998-2005
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 2005 - 2009
- Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 2009-Present
- Ankle Arthritis
- Biomechanics of the Foot and Ankle
- Midfoot injuries
- Painful Adolescent Flat Foot
- Fractures of the Ankle, Talus and Calcaneus
- Ligamentous Injuries of the Ankle
- Applied Surgical Anatomy
- Shetty M, Fessell DP, Femino JE, Jacobson JA, Lin J, Jamadar D. Sonography of ankle tendon impingement with surgical correlation. AJR AM J Roentgenol. 2002 Oct;179(4):949-53.
- Pham H, Fessel DP, Femino JE, Sharp S, Jacobson JA, Hayes CW. Sonography and MR Imaging of selected benign masses in the ankle and foot. AJR AM J Roentgenol. 2003 Jan;180(1):99-107.
- Durkee NJ, Jacobson JA, Jamadar DA, Femino JE, Karunakar MA, Hayes CW. Sonographic evaluation of lower extremity interosseous membrane injury: retrospective review in three patients. Journal of Ultrasound Medicine, 2003; 22:1369-1375.
- La S, Fessell DP, Femino JE, Jacobson JA, Jamadar D, Hayes C. Sonography of partial-thickness quadriceps tendon tears with surgical correlation. Journal of Ultrasound Medicine, 2003; 22:1323-1329.
- Chien AJ, Jacobson JA, Jamadar DA, Femino JE, Hayes CW: Imaging appearances of lateral ankle ligament reconstruction. Radiographics (United States), Jul-Aug 2004, 24(4) p999-1008.
- Femino JE, Gruber B, Karunakar M. “Safe Zone for Placement of Medial Malleolar Screws”. Journal of Bone and Joint Surg, 2007 Jan; 89(A) vol. 1 pp.
- Femino JE, Jacobson JA, Craig CL, Kuhns LR. “Dynamic Ultrasound of the Foot and Ankle; Adult and Pediatric Applications”. Techniques in Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2007 Mar; 6(1) 50-61.
- Phisitkul P, Junko JT, Femino JE, Saltzman CL, Amendola A. “Technique of Prone Ankle and Subtalar Arthroscopy”. Techniques in Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2007 Mar; 6(1) 30-37.
- Kaar S, Femino JE, Morag Y. “Lisfranc Joint Displacement Following Sequential Ligament Sectioning as Measured by Weight-bearing and Manual Stress Radiographs: A Biomechanical Cadaveric Study”. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Oct. 2007 89(6) 2225-32
- Martus JE, Femino JE, Caird MS, Kuhns LR, Craig CL, Farley FA: “Facies Externa Accessoria Corpalis Tali as an Etiology of the Painful Rigid Flatfoot: A new Diagnosis. The Iowa Orthopaedic Journal 2008, (28)1-8.
- Martins JE, Femino JE, Caird MS, Huehes RE, Farley FA. “Accessory Anterolateral Facet of the Pediatric Talus: An Anatomic Study”. Journal of Bone and Joine Surgery. AM Nov. 2008 (90)2452-2459