Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Faculty
Sergio Mendoza, MD
- Medical School - Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
- Residency - Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery Residency-Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile;
Specialist in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery-Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
Honors, Awards and Organizations
- 04/10/08: Above & Beyond recognition for exemplary performance - UIHC
- Carver College of Medicine Foundations of Clinical Practice IV 2008 Teaching Award Nominee.
- Mendoza-Lattes SA, Boezaart A, Bartelt R, Zimmerman M, Clark C: Prolonged Mucosal Ischemia of the Upper Esophageal Sphincter is Related to Dysphagia following Anterior Cervical Fusion (ACF). Cervical Spine Research Society Annual Meeting, Palm Beach, 2007 Second Place Clinical Research Award.
- 25th Annual meeting of the International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine outstanding poster award “An abnormal shear force application on the lumbar vertebrae caused disc degeneration and pain behavior in rats”. June 2005.
- Cervical Spine Research Society 2004 DePuy Spine Research Grant Award “Is Esophageal Isquemia Secondary to Retractor Pressure During Anterior Cervical Fusion Responsible for Post-Operative Dysphagia?”
- Above & Beyond recognition for exemplary performance – University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 04/23/04
- Above & Beyond recognition for exemplary performance – University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 02/12/04
- Above & Beyond recognition for exemplary performance – University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 08/07/02
- American Medical Association
- Amerian Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Iowa Medical Society
- Iowa Orthopaedic Society
Clinical and Research Interests
- Adult spinal deformity / scoliosis
- Intra-operative neurophysiologic monitoring
- spinal stenosis
- intervertebral disc replacement
Recent Publications and Reviews
- Mendoza-Lattes S, Weiss A, Gabo Y, Swafford J: Comparable Efficacy of Trans-Foraminal versus Caudal Epidural Steroid Injections. Iowa Orthopaedic Journal 29, 2009.
- Mendoza-Lattes S; Clark CA: Preventing Dysphagia in Anterior Cervical Arthrodesis, Video Journal of Orthopaedics, May 2008.
- Mendoza-Lattes S., Clifford K., Bartelt R., Stewart J., Clark C, Boezaart A. Dysphagia Following Anterior Cervical Arthrodesis is Associated with Continuous, Strong Retraction of the Esophagus. JBJS 90(A): 256 – 263, 2008.
- Aguiar CA, Mendoza-Lattes S., Cobb P, Menezes A, and Stuart L. Weinstein, M.D.Unusual Association of Congenital Kyphosis and Conus Lipoma Presenting as a Double Spinal Cord Tether. Iowa Orthopaedic Journal 27: 85 – 89, 2007.
- Lim T-H, Ramakrishnan PS, Kurriger GL, Martin JA, Stevens JW, Kim J, Mendoza SA: Rat spinal motion segment in organ culture: A cell viability study. Spine 31(12): 1291 – 1297, 2006.
- RM Hall, TD Brown, J Fisher, E Ingham, SA Mendoza, HM Mayer: Introduction to lumbar total disc replacement: Factors that affect tribological performance. Journal of Engineering Tribology 220(J8): 775 – 786, 2006
- Mendoza SA, Urrutia J, Fuentes D: Surgical treatment of solitary plasmocytoma of the spine: Case series. Iowa Orthopaedic Journal 24: 86 – 89, 2004.
- Haft GF, Mendoza SA, Weinstein SL, Nyunoya T, Smoker W: Use of beta-2-transferrin to diagnose CSF leakage following spinal surgery: A case report. Iowa Orthop. J. 24: 115 – 118, 2004.
- Nyunoya T., Gross T., Rooney C., Mendoza S., Kline J.: Massive Pleural Transudate following Thoracotomy in a 49-year-old Woman. Chest 123(4): 1280 – 1283, 2003.
- Mendoza-Lattes S., Clark C.: Subaxial Cervical Spine Injuries in Bulstrode, Buckwalter, Carr, Marsh, Fairbank, Wilson-MacDonald, Bowden (eds.) “Oxford Textbook of Orthopaedics and Trauma”, Oxford University Press (pending for publication in 2009).
- Mendoza SA: Translation into the English language of Part III “Skull and Trunk” of the Atlas by Llusa M, Meri A, Ruano D, eds. “Manual y atlas fotografico de anatomia del aparato locomotor”. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Rosemont, IL, 2008.
- Mendoza SA, Boezaart A: Ch. 14: The Adult Spine in Andre P. Boezaart (ed) “Anesthesia and Orthopaedic Surgery”, McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc., New York 2006.
- Mendoza SA, Weinstein SL: “Clinical Features of Neural Tube Defects. Physical Examination of the Spine”; in Neural Tube Defects: From Origin to Treatment. Diego Wyszynski, Ed., Oxford University Press, 2005.