Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Faculty
Matthew D. Karam, MD
Assistant Clinical Professor
- Medical School: Chicago Medical School, North Chicago, IL
- Residency: University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA
- Fellowship: Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN
Areas of Research Interest and Current Projects
- Orthopaedic Traumatology
- Pelvic and Acetabular Trauma
- Pediatric Trauma
- Upper Extremity Trauma
- Lower Extremity Trauma
- Peri-articular Trauma
- Surgical Skill Development
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- Iowa Orthopaedic Society
- Brand RA, Karam MD, Coutts R. The estimated costs of manuscripts associated with OREF funding. JBJS Am 2002 Aug; 84-A(8):1470-1472.
- Brand RA, Karam MD. The number and the scope of activity of the orthopaedic clinician-scientists in the United States. JBJS Am 2003 Feb; 85-A(2):374-379.
- Karam MD, McKinley T. Traumatic heterotopic ossification of the quadratus lumborum. A case report. Iowa Orthop J 2008 28:88-91.
- Karam MD, Marsh JL. Does a trauma course improve resident performance on the trauma domain of the OITE? JBJS Am 2010 Oct 92; e19.
- Gao Y, Johnston R, Karam MD. Pediatric sports-related lower extremity fractures: Hospital length of stay and charges: What is the role of the primary payer? Iowa Orthop J 2010 30:115-118.
- Karam MD, Wiley M, Schurr D. Total knee replacement in patients with below-knee ampuations. Iowa Orthop J 2010 30:150-152.
- Karam MD, Amendola N, Mendoza S. Successful treatment of acute exertional paraspinal compartment syndrome with hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Iowa Orthop J 2010 30:188-190.
- Karam MD, Pugley A, Callaghan JJ, Shurr D. Hinged Cast Brace for Persistent Flexion Contracture Following Total Knee Replacement. Iowa Orthop J 2011 31:69-72.
- Karam MD, Gao Y, McKinley T. Assessment of Walking Pattern Pre and Post Peri-Acetabular Osteotomy. Iowa Orthop J 2011 31:83-89.
- Karam MD, Marsh JL. Does a trauma course improve resident performance on OITE? Mid-America Orthopedic Association Annual Meeting. May 2010.
- Ohrt GT, Thomas TP, Yehawi TM, Anderson DD, Brown TD, Marsh JL, Karam MD. Articular fracture reduction training for orthopaedic residents: Surgical simulation and assessment. 1st Rocky Mountain Regional American Society of Biomechanics Conference, April 2011.
- Yehyawi TM, Thomas TP, Marsh JL, Anderson DD, Ohrt GT, Brown TD, Karam MD. Articular fracture reduction training for orthopaedic residents through surgical simulation and performance assessment. UIHC Graduate Medical Education Leadership Symposium. April 29, 2011. Best Presentation Award.