Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Faculty
Apurva Shah, MD, MBA
- BA, Yale University, New Haven, CT (2000)
- MD, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY (2005)
- MBA, Columbia Business School, New York, NY (2005)
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI (2010)
- Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery Fellowship, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA
- Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Boston Children's Hospital, Boston, MA
Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Bae DS, Shah AS, Kalish LA, Kwon JY, Waters PM. Shoulder motion, strength, and functional outcomes in children with established malunion of the clavicle. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 2013;33:544-550.
- Shah AS, Waters PM, Bae DS. Treatment of the "pink pulseless hand" in pediatric supracondylar humerus fractures. Journal of Hand Surgery Am 2013;38:1399-1403.
- Shah AS, Bae DS. Management of pediatric trigger thumb and trigger finger. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2012;20:206-213.
- Julka A, Vranceanu A, Shah AS, Peters F, Ring D. Predictors of pain during and the day after corticosteroid injection for idiopathic trigger finger. Journal of Hand Surgery Am 2012;37:237-242.
- Julka A, Shah AS, Miller BS. Inflammatory response to recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 use in the treatment of a proximal humeral fracture: a case report. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2012;21:e12-e16.
- Shah AS, Kadakia AR, Tan GJ, Karadsheh MS, Wolter TD, Sabb B. Radiographic evaluation of the normal distal tibiofibular syndesmosis. Foot and Ankle International 2012;33:870-876.
- Shah AS, Karadsheh MS, Sekiya JK. Failure of operative treatment for glenohumeral instability: etiology and management. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery 2011;27:681-694.
- Shah AS, Lesniak BP, Wolter TD, Caird MS, Farley FA, Vander Have KL. Stabilization of adolescent both-bone forearm fractures: a comparison of intramedullary nailing versus open reduction and internal fixation. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma 2010;24:440-447.
- Srinivasan RC, Shah AS, Jebson PJL. New treatment options for Dupuytren's surgery: collagenase and percutaneous aponeurotomy. Journal of Hand Surgery Am 2010;35:1362-1364.
- Shah AS, Verma MK, Jebson PJL. The use of oral vitamin C following fractures of the distal radius. Journal of Hand Surgery Am 2009;34:1736-1738.
- Verma MK, Shah AS, Jebson PJL. Cephalosporins in hand surgery. Journal of Hand Surgery Am 2009;34:755-758.
- Shah A, Jebson PJL. Current treatment of radial nerve palsy following fracture of the humeral shaft. Journal of Hand Surgery Am 2008;33:1433-1434.
Recent Book Chapters
- Shah AS, Waters PM. Monteggia fracture-dislocation in children. In Rockwood and Green’s Fractures in Children. Skaggs DL, Flynn JM, Waters PM, eds. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA. (publication pending)
- Jebson PJL, Bedi A, Shah AS. Scaphoid waist fracture: open reduction internal fixation via the dorsal approach. In The Scaphoid. Slutsky DJ, Slade JF III, eds. Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc., New York, NY. 2011.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH)
- American Association for Hand Surgery (AAHS)
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- Iowa Orthopaedic Society
- Iowa Medical Society
Clinical and Research Interests
- Hand and upper limb outcomes research
- Brachial plexus injuries
- Congenital hand differences
- Pediatric hand surgery
- Value-driven health care delivery