Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Faculty
John P. Albright, MD
Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery,
Faculty Member of Sports Medicine Service
- Medical School - Loyola - Stritch School of Medicine; Yale University - NIH Post Doctoral Program
- Residency - Yale University - Orthopaedic Residency
Honors and Awards
- Yale University - NIH Post Doctoral Program - Fellow - 1970
- 1971 Outstanding Resident Award, American Orthopaedic Association Meeting, Hot Springs, Virginia
- 1975 Certificate of Merit, "Neck Injuries in Football", Exhibit, American Medical Association, Atlantic City, New Jersey
- 1988 Excellence in Research Award (AOSSM) "Meniscal Repair in the Canine Model"
- 1989 Honorary National Athletic Trainer Association (NATA) Member
- 1996 Cabaud Memorial Award: 1996 AOSSM Annual Meeting
- 1998 AOSSM-ESSKA Traveling Fellowship "Godfather"
- 2001 George D. Rovere Education Award (AOSSM)
- AOSSM Hall of Fame Award (2008)
Professional Activities and Organizations
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS):
Exam and Evaluation Committee (1978 - 1987)
Evidence and Analysis Committee (AAOS (amp AOSSM)
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
Chairman, Basic Science Section, Research and Education Committee (1978 - 1980)
Education Committee (1994-2001)
Chairman Instructional Course for Annual Meetings
Co-Chairman Comprehensive Knee Surgery for Sports Trauma (1996 (amp 1998)
Fellowship Directors Committee
Fellowship Exam Committee
Liason to NATA (1994 - 2001)
Chariman of Athletic Trainers of Year Award
- Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS)
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- American Board of Orthpaedic (ABOS) Oral examiner in sports medicine
- Academic Orthopaedic Society
- American Academy of Sports Physicians (AASP)
- American Orthopaedic Association (AOA)
- European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA)
- American Journal of Sports Medicine
- Spine (Reviewer)
- Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Reviewer)
Clinical and Research Interests
- Sports Medicine: Detection and Diagnosis of Sports Related Injuries and Prevention Of
- Radiographic Screening of Stress Fractures in Competitive Athletes
- Knee Injuries
- Neck Injuries - Cause and Prevention
- Ankle Injuries - The Effect of Taping
- Preventive Knee Brace Effectiveness
- Grading and management of mortise sprains
- Injury Patterns in Intercollegiate Gymnastics/Wrestling
- Long Term Effects of Competitive Wrestling
- Dynamic Hamstring Control of ALRI Instability, complex instability of the knee - surgical approach, throwing arm injuries - conservative and surgical treatments
- Complex instability of the knee - surgical approach
- Throwing arm injuries - conservative and surgical treatments
- Cadaver based validation: Orthopilot CAS for ACL reconstruction: MRI validation of tunnel placement. Validation of Kinematic parameters (MRI + Flock of Birds) Isometry 0-90 flexion-extension. Anterior tibial translation Tibial rotation (IR + PR) at 30 + 90
- Cadaver based study: effects of original graft tension matching on post op result.
- Cadaver based study: CAS effects on resident learning curve for ACL reconstruction.
- EMG based validation of Intra-operative Femoral Nerve stimulation for dynamic assessment of patellar tracking.
- Role of femoral nerve stimulation
- Dynamic assessment of the extensor mechanism
- Intraoperative assessment of quad dynamics by femoral nerve stimulation
- Pre- and postoperative dynamic MRI assessment of quadriceps dynamics (J-sign)
Recent Publications & Reviews
- Albright JP, Powell JW, et al: Medial Collateral Ligament Knee Sprains in College Football: Brace Wear Preferences and Injury Risk, Am J Sports Med, 22(1):2-11, 1994.
- Albright JP, Powell JW, et al: Medial Collateral Ligament Knee Sprains in College Football: Effectiveness of Preventive Braces, Am J Sports Med, 22(1):12-18, 1994.
- Albright JP, Powell JW: "Statistics in Sports Injury Research", In Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice, Editor: Delee, J and Drez, D, W.B. Saunders Co., 1994.
- Meyer SA, Callaghan JJ, Albright JP, Crowley ET, Powell JW: Midfoot Sprains in Collegiate Football Players. Am J Sports Med 222:392-401, 1994.
- Meyer SA, Schulte K, Callaghan JJ, Albright JP, Powell, J. W., Crowley, E. T., El-Khoury G.: Cervical Spinal Stenosis and Stingers in Collegiate Football Players. Am J Sports Med 22(2):158-166, 1994.
- Albright JP, Staterbak A, Stokes J: Use of knee braces in sport: current recommendations. Sports Medicine, 20(5):281-301, 1995.
- Banovetz J, Albright JP, Crowley ET: Conservative care of the anterior cruciate deficient knees: A review of the literature and a treatment protocol. Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Review. Vol 5, No 1, 29-43, March 1997.
- Albright JP, Brown AW: Management of Chronic Posterolateral Rotatory Instability of the Knee: Surgical Technique for the Posterolateral Corner Sling Procedure. Instructional Course Lectures, W. Dilworth Cannon, Jr. Ed. Volume 47, 369-378, 1998.
- Brown A, Albright. The Use of Knee Braces in Sports Medicine. Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice, 2nd edition, Editors DeLee and Drez. W.B. Saunders, 2001. (in press)
- Albright JP: ACL reconstruction plan "b" procedures: handling the pitfalls, Ortho and Sprots Med 3(6), 1999.
- Feltham, GT, Albright JP: The Diagnosis of PCL Injury: Literature REview and Introduction to Two Novel Tests, The Iowa Orthopaedic Journal, Vol 21, 26-42, 2001
- Wilson A, Nash S, Albright JP, Spratt K, Wolcott M, Amendola A: Accuracy and Reliability of Arthroscopic Assessment of the Chondral Defects in Cadeveric Knee Specimens. International Proceedings, 5th Symposium of the International Cartilage Repair Society, Gent, Belgium, May 26-27, 2004
- Albright JP, Powell J, Crowley E. et al: Injury Patterns in the Big Ten Confrence Football. Am J Sports Med, 32(6): 1394-1404, September 2004
- Wolf BR, Heiner AD, Albright JP, and Nepola JV: Excessive radiofrequency application: effects of capsule tissue. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, in press - accepted 2004
- Najibi S, Albright JP: The Use of Knee Braces Part I: Prophylactic Knee Braces in Contact Sports. Am J Sports Med, 33(4): 602-611, 2005
- Lavery M, Bell J, Rickelman T, Boezaart A, Alrbight J: Patellofemoral realignment: Dynamic intraoperative assessment. The Iowa Orthopaedic Journal, Vol 25, 160-163, 2005