Ned Amendola, M.D., FRCS(C), DABOS
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, 2004–present. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Iowa.
- Professor, Secondary Appointment, Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science, 2005–present. University of Iowa.
- John and Kim Callaghan Endowed Chair in Sports Medicine, 2008-present. University of Iowa.
- Director of Sports Medicine, 2001- present. College of Medicine, University of Iowa.
- Professor, Secondary Appointment, Dept. of Exercise Science, July 2003–present. University of Iowa.
Education and Professional History
University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada. 1978-1980. Engineering Science
University of Western Ontario Medical School, London, Ontario, Canada. 1980-1984. Doctor of Medicine. June 1984.
Post-Graduate Medical Education
- Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario, Canada, 1984-1985. Orthopaedic Internship.
- University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada, July 1985-July 1989
- Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Residency.
- University Hospital, London, Ontario, Canada, July 1989-January 1990. Sports Medicine Clinical and Research Fellow.
- University of Verona, Verona, Italy, January 1990-July 1990. Samuel S.McLaughlin Fellowship, Upper Extremity/Trauma Clinical and Research Fellow.
- Crystal Clinic, Akron, Ohio, August 1990-July 1991. Samuel S. McLaughlin Fellowship, Foot and Ankle/Sports Medicine Clinical and Research Fellow.
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, April 1996-May 1996. European Sports Medicine Travelling Fellowship.
- Institutional Leadership Program, University of Iowa, Completed December 2007
Certification and Licensure
- American National Board, Parts I, II and III, 1984.
- Licensing Medical Council of Canada, Principles of Surgery, Canada. 1984.
- Certification in Orthopaedic Surgery, FRCS(C) Royal College Examinations. 1990.
- Part I American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1991
- Part II American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1993
- CASM Diploma Examination in Sport Medicine, 1993
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1993
- License to Practice Medicine, The State of Iowa, June 27, 2001
- Recertification, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, May 2003
- ABOS Specialty Certificate in Sports Medicine, 2011
Professional and Academic Positions
- Orthopaedic Research Resident, 1988. University Hospital, London Ontario.
- Chief Resident, Orthopaedic Surgery, 1988-1989. University of Western Ontario.
- Residents Advisory Board, 1988-1989. Grand Rounds in Orthopaedics, Multimed Publications.
- Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1991-1996. Department of Surgery, University of Western Ontario.
- Co – Advisor, Graduate Studies Program, Faculty of Kinesiology, 1991-1993. University of Western Ontario.
- Advisor, Graduate Studies Program, Faculty of Kinesiology. 1993-2001. University of Western Ontario.
- Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Kinesiology, 1991-2001. University of Western Ontario.
- Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Department of Surgery, 1996-2001. University of Western Ontario.
- Chief, Division of Orthopaedic Surgery. 1996-2001. London Health Sciences Centre, University Campus.
- Chief, Section on Foot and Ankle, 1996-2001. Division of Orthopaedics, University of Western Ontario.
- Chief, Section of Sport Medicine, 1988-2001. Division of Orthopaedics, University of Western Ontario.
- Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2001-2004. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Iowa.
Honors, Awards, Recognitions, Outstanding Achievements
- 1990, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine Research Award, “Allograft in ACL Reconstruction in a Sheep Model –The Effect of Synthetic Augmentation.” 1990.
- 1990, Samuel McLaughlin Foundation Fellowship. University of Western Ontario.
- 1993, The Howard Cameron Excellence in Teaching Award, Division of Orthopaedic Surgery. University of Western Ontario. (Selected by the residents)
- 1994, The Howard Cameron Excellence in Teaching Award, Division of Orthopaedic Surgery. University of Western Ontario. (Selected by the residents)
- 1995, Edouard Samson Award, “Exertional Compartment Syndrome: Diagnosis, Pathophysiology and Treatment” Canadian Orthopaedic Association.”
- 1997, Achilles Research Award, “The Effects of an Isolated Ankle Effusion on H-Reflex Amplitude, Viscoelasticity and Postural Control of the Ankle.” ISAKOS.
- 1998, R. Tait McKenzie Medallion of the Canadian Academy of Sport Medicine, “The Effect of Bracing on Medial Compartment Osteoarthritis of the Knee.”
- 2002, Leonard Goldner Award, Best Research Paper, “Direction of Subtalar Joint Laxity with Interosseous Talocalcaneal Ligament Sectioning.” Y.Tochigi, Saltzman, A. Amendola, M.Rudert, T. Baer and T. Brown.
- 2006, AOSSM Cabaud Award for Excellence in Basic Science Research, “Chondrocyte Viability in Osteoarticular Allografts: Are We Overestimating Chondrocyte Viability?” Lightfoot, A., Martin, J., Amendola, A.
- 2009, Received John and Kim Callaghan Endowed Chair in Sports Medicine, Department of Orthopedics, University of Iowa.
- 2009, AOFAS Roger Mann Award for Best Clinical Research paper: Saltzman C, Mann R, Ahrens J, Amendola A, Anderson R, Berlet G, Brodsky J, Chou L, Clanton T, Deland J, Deorio J, Horton G, Lee T, Mann J, Nunley J, Thordarson D, Walling A, Wapner K, Coughlin M. Prospective Controlled Trial Of STAR Total Ankle Replacement Versus Ankle Fusion: Initial Results
- 2010, AOFAS Roger Mann Award for Best Clinical Research paper: Prospective RCT of Motion vs. Fixed Distraction in Treatment of Ankle OA Amendola A, Saltzman CL, Hillis S, Stolley P
- 2011, AAOS Distinguished Volunteer Service Award, “Pediatric Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction.” Bonasia D, Amendola A
- 2012 AAOS Van Doner Vaughn Kappa Delta Award : “ Prognosis and Predictors of ACL Reconstructions using the MOON Cohort: A Model for Comparative Effectiveness Studies”
Areas of Research Interest and Current Projects
- Using T1rho in articular cartilage imaging and ACL injury (part of CORT grant, ongoing)
- Articular cartilage function in posttraumatic OA
- ACL outcomes short and long term (MOON)
- Ankle distraction in end stage ankle OA (part of SCOR grant, ongoing)
- Effect of Sagittal plane knee alignment on knee stability (ongoing)
- Lower limb alignment and relationship to knee and foot and ankle outcomes (ongoing)
- Long term outcomes of Total Ankle Arthroplasty
- CAM impingement of the ankle
- Osteotomies around the knee
- Knee OA
- Saltzman C, Mann R, Ahrens J, Amendola A, Anderson R, Berlet G, Brodsky J, Chou L, Clanton T, Deland J, Deorio J, Horton G, Lee T, Mann J, Nunley J, Thordarson D, Walling A, Wapner K, Coughlin M. Prospective Controlled Trial Of STAR Total Ankle Replacement Versus Ankle Fusion: Initial Results. Foot & Ankle International 2009, 30(7): 579-593.
- Fetzer G, Spindler K, Amendola A, Andrish J, Bergfeld J, Dunn W, Flanigan D, Jones M, Kaeding C, Marx R, Matava M, Mccarty E, Parker R, Wolcott M, Vidal A, Wolf B, Wright R. Potential Market For New Meniscus Repair Strategies: Evaluation Of The MOON Cohort. J. Knee Surgery 2009, 22(3): 180-186.
- Tochigi Y, Anderson DD, Rudert MJ, Vaseenon T, Brown TD, Amendola A. Effects Of Implantation Height Upon Contact Stresses In The Human Ankle With A Focal Resurfacing Implant. Foot & Ankle International 2009, 30(8): 798.
- Bonasia DE, Amendola A. Combined Medial Meniscal Transplantation And High Tibial Osteotomy. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. Dec. 3 2009.
- Magnussen RA, Granan LP, Dunn WR, Amendola A, Andrish JT, Brophy R, Carey JL, Flanigan D, Huston LJ, Jones M, Kaeding CC, Mccarty EC, Marx RG, Matava MJ, Parker RD, Vidal A, Wolcott M, Wolf BR, Wright RW, Spindler KP, Engebretsen L. Cross-Cultural Comparison Of Patients Undergoing ACL Reconstruction In The United States And Norway. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. Jan. 2010, 18(1):98-105.
- Amendola A, Bonasia DE. Results Of High Tibial Osteotomy: Review Of The Literature. Int Orthop. Feb. 2010, 34(2):155-60.
- Willey M, Wolf B, Kocaglu B, Amendola A. Complications Associated with Realignment Osteotomy of the Knee Performed Simultaneously with Additional Reconstructive Procedures. Iowa Orthopaedic Journal 2010, 30: 55-60.
- Aalderink KJ, Shaffer M, Amendola A. Rehabilitation Following High Tibial Osteotomy. Clin Sports Med. Apr 2010: 29(2):291-301, Ix.
- Adkisson HD 4th, Martin JA, Amendola RL, Milliman C, Mauch KA, Katwal AB, Seyedin M, Amendola A, Buckwalter JA, Streeter PR. The Potential Of Human Allogeneic Juvenile Chondrocytes For Restoration Of Articular Cartilage. Am J Sports Med. Apr. 2010: 27.
- Phisitkul P, Amendola A. False FHL: A Normal Variant Posing Risks In Posterior Hindfoot Endoscopy. Arthroscopy. May 2010, 26(5):714-8.
- Karam M, Amendola A, Mendoza-Lattes S. Case Report: Successful Treatment of Acute Exertional Paraspinal Compartment Syndrome with Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. Iowa Ortho Journal 2010, 30: 188-190
- Savarese E, Bisicchia S, Amendola A. Bilateral Spontaneous Concurrent Rupture Of The Patellar Tendon In A Healthy Man: Case Report And Review Of The Literature. Chir Organi Mov. May 18 2010.
- Beals TC, Junko JT, Amendola A, Nichkisch F, Saltzman CL. Minimally Invasive Distraction Technique For Prone Posterior Ankle And Subtalar Arthroscopy. Foot & Ankle International 2010, 31(4): 316-319.
- Anderson DD, Tochigi Y, Rudert MJ, Vaseenon T, Brown TD, Amendola A. Effect Of Implantation Accuracy On Ankle Contact Mechanics With A Metallic Focal Resurfacing Implant. J Bone Joint Surg Am. June 2010, 92(6):1490-500.
- Dunn WR, Spindler KP, Amendola A, Andrish JT, Kaeding CC, Marx RG, McCarty EC, Parker RD, Harrell FE Jr, An AQ, Wright RW. Which Preoperative Factors, Including Bone Bruise, Are Associated With Knee Pain/Symptoms at Index Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction (ACLR)? A Multicenter Orthopaedic Outcomes Network (MOON) ACLR Cohort Study. Am J Sports Med. 2010 Jul 1.
- Ruberte Thiele RA, Campbell RB, Amendola A, Sekiya JK. Biomechanical comparison of figure- of-8 versus cylindrical tibial inlay constructs for arthroscopic posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Arthroscopy. July 2010, 26(7):977-83.
- MARS Group, Wright RW, Huston LJ, Spindler KP, Dunn WR, Haas AK, Allen CR, Cooper DE, DeBerardino TM, Lantz BB, Mann BJ, Stuart MJ. Descriptive epidemiology of the Multicenter ACL Revision Study (MARS) cohort. Am J Sports Med. Oct 2010, 38(10):1979-86.
- Vaseenon T, Phisitkul P, Wolf BR, Femino JE, Amendola A. Preventing Damage to Arthroscopic Lens During Surgery. Arthroscopy. Oct 23 2010.
- Hammond AW, Phisitkul P, Femino J, Amendola A. Arthroscopic Debridement of the Talonavicular Joint Using Dorsomedial and Dorsolateral Portals: A Cadaveric Study of Safety and Access. Arthroscopy. 2010 Oct 26.
- Willits K, Amendola A, Bryant D, Mohtadi NG, Giffin JR, Fowler P, Kean CO, Kirkley A. Operative versus nonoperative treatment of acute Achilles tendon ruptures: a multicenter randomized trial using accelerated functional rehabilitation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010 Dec 1; 92 (17): 2767-75.
- Spindler KP, Huston LJ, Wright RW, Kaeding CC, Marx RG, Amendola A, Parker RD, Andrish JT, Reinke EK, Harrell FE Jr, Group M, Dunn WR. The Prognosis and Predictors of Sports Function and Activity at Minimum 6 Years After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: A Population Cohort Study. Am J Sports Med. 2011 Feb; 39(2): 348-59.
- Intema F, Thomas TP, Anderson DD, Elkins JM, Brown, TD, Amendola A, Lafeber FP, Saltzman CL. Subchondral bone remodeling is related to clinical improvement after joint distraction in the treatment of ankle osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2011 Feb 13.
- Bonasia DE, Phisitkul P, Saltzman CL, Barg A, Amendola A. Arthroscopic resection of talocalcaneal coalitions. Arthroscopy. 2011 Mar; 27(3): 430-5.
- Savarese E, Bisicchia S, Romeo R, Amendola A. Role of high tibial osteotomy in chronic injuries of posterior cruciate ligament and posterolateral corner. J Orthop Traumatol. 2011 Mar; 12(1): 1-17.
- Bonasia DE, Rossi R, Saltzman CL, Amendola A. The role of arthroscopy in the management of fractures about the ankle. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2011 Apr; 19(4): 226-235.
- Kocaoglu B, Martin J, Wolf B, Karahan M, Amendola A. The effect of irrigation solution at different temperatures on articular cartilage metabolism. Arthroscopy. 2011 Apr; 27(4): 526-31.
- McConkey MO, Bonasia DE, Amendola A. Pediatric anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2011 Jun; 4(2):37-44.
- Pedersen DR, Klocke NF, Thedens DR, Martin JA, Williams GN, Amendola A. Integrating carthage-specific T1rho MRI into knee clinic diagnostic imaging. Iowa Orthop J. 2011;31:99-109.
- Phisitkul P, James S, Wolf B, Amendola A. MCL Injuries of the Knee: Current Concepts Review. Iowa Orthopaedic Journal, May 2006; Vol. 26: 77-90.
- Molinari A, Stolley M, Amendola A. High Ankle Sprains (Syndesmotic) In Athletes: Diagnostic Challenges and Review of the Literature. The Iowa Orthopaedic Journal 2009, 29: 130-138.
- Bonasia D, Dettoni F, Femino J, Phisitkul P, Germano M, Amendola A. Total Ankle Replacement: Why, When and How? Iowa Ortho Journal 2010, 30: 119-130.
- Bonasia DE, Martin JA, Marmotti A, Amendola RL, Buckwalter JA, Rossi R, Blonna D, Adkisson HD 4th, Amendola A. Cocultures of adult and juvenile chondrocytes compared with adult and juvenile chondral fragments: In vitro matrix production. Am J Sports Med. 2011 Aug 9.
- Dragoni M, Bonasia DE, Amendola A. Osteochondral talar allograft for large osteochondral defects: Technique tip. Foot Ankle Int. 2011 Sept; 32(9):910-16.
- Rossi R, Bonasia DE, Amendola A. The role of high tibial osteotomy in the varus knee. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2011 Oct; 19(10):590-9.
- Bonasia DE, Martin JA, Marmotti A, Amendola RL, Buckwalter JA, Rossi R, Blonna D, Adkisson HD 4th, Amendola A. Cocultures of adult and juvenile chondrocytes compared with adult and juvenile chondral fragments: in vitro matrix production. Am J Sports Med. 2011 Nov; 39(11): 2355-61.
- Wright R, Spindler K, Huston L, Amendola A, Andrish J, Brophy R, Carey J, Cox C, Flanigan D, Jones M, Kaeding C, Marx R, Matava M, McCarty E, Parker R, Vidal A, Wolcott M, Wolf B, Dunn W. Revision ACL reconstruction outcomes: MOON cohort. J Knee Surg. 2011 Dec;24(4):289-94.
- Barg A, Tochigi Y, Amendola A, Phisitkul P, Hintermann B, Saltzman CL. Subtalar instability: Diagnosis and treatment. Foot Ankle Int. 2012 Feb; 33(2):151-60
- Nickisch F, Barg A, Saltzman CL, Beals TC, Bonasia DE, Phisitkul P, Femino JE, Amendola A. Postoperative complications of posterior ankle and hindfoot arthroscopy. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Mar 7; 94-A(5):439-446.
- Vaseenon T, Amendola A. Update on anterior ankle impingement. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2012 Jun;5(2):145-50.
- Saltzman CL, Hillis SL, Stolley MP, Anderson DD, Amendola A. Motion versus fixed distraction of the joint in the treatment of ankle osteoarthritis: a prospective randomized controlled trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Jun 6;94(11):961-70.
- McConkey M, Lyon C, Bennett DL, Schoch B, Britton C, Amendola A, Wolf B. Radiographic sizing for meniscal transplantation using 3-D CT reconstruction. J Knee Surg. 2012 Jul;25(3):221-5.
- Vance CG, Rakel BA, Blodgett NP, de Santana JM, Amendola A, Zimmerman MB, Walsh DM, Sluka KA. Effects of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation on pain, pain sensitivity, and function in patients with knee osteoarthritis: A randomized controlled trial. Phys Ther. 2012 Jul;92(7):898-910.
- Warme BA, Ramme AJ, Willey MC, Britton CL, Flint JH, Amendola A, Wolf BR; MOON Knee Group. Reliability of early postoperative radiographic assessment of tunnel placement after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Arthroscopy. 2012 Jul;28(7):942-51.
- Spindler KP, Parker RD, Andrish JT, Kaeding CC, Wright RW, Marx RG, McCarty EC, Amendola A, Dunn WR, Huston LJ, Harrell FE Jr; MOON Group. Prognosis and predictors of ACL reconstructions using the MOON cohort: A model for comparative effectiveness studies. J Orthop Res. 2012 Aug 21.
- Klocke NF, Amendola A, Thedens DR, Williams GN, Luty CM, Martin JA, Pedersen DR. Comparison of T1?, dGEMRIC, and Quantitative T2 MRI in Preoperative ACL Rupture Patients. Acad Radiol. 2012 Sep 14.
- McConkey MO, Amendola A, Ramme AJ, Dunn WR, Flanigan DC, Britton CL; MOON Knee Group, Wolf BR. Arthroscopic Agreement Among Surgeons on Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tunnel Placement. Am J Sports Med. 2012 Oct 17.
- Sullivan JP, Matava MJ, Flanigan DC, Gao Y, Britton CL, Amendola A; MOON Group, Wolf BR. Reliability of tunnel measurements and the quadrant method using fluoroscopic radiographs after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Am J Sports Med. 2012 Oct;40(10):2236-41.
- ÂÂÂÂÂ Femino JE, Vaseenon T, Phistkul P, Tochigi Y, Anderson DD, Amendola A. Varus external rotation stress test for radiographic detection of deep deltoid ligament disruption with and without syndesmotic disruption: a cadaveric study. Foot Ankle Int. 2013 Feb;34(2):251-60.
- Arunakul M, Amendola A, Gao Y, Goetz JE, Femino JE, Phisitkul P. Tripod index: diagnostic accuracy in symptomatic flatfoot and cavovarus foot: part 2. Iowa Orthop J. 2013;33:47-53.
- McCarthy M, Ridley T, Bollier M, Wolf B, Albright J, Amendola A. Femoral tunnel placement in medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction. Iowa Orthop J. 2013;33:58-63.
- Vena G, D'Adamio S, Amendola A. Complications of osteotomies about the knee. Sports Med Arthrosc. 2013 Jun;21(2):113-20.
- Wolf BR, Ramme AJ, Wright RW, Brophy RH, McCarty EC, Vidal AR, Parker RD, Andrish JT, Amendola A, MOON Knee Group. Variability in ACL tunnel placement: observational clinical study of surgeon ACL tunnel variability. Am J Sports Med. 2013 Jun;41(6):1265-73.
- Beitzel K, Mazzocca AD, Obopilwe E, Boyle JW, McWilliam J, Rincon L, Dhar Y, Arciero RA, Amendola A. Biomechanical properties of double- and single-row suture anchor repair for surgical treatment of insertional Achilles tendinopathy. Am J Sports Med. 2013 Jul;41(7):1642-8.
- Abdulmassih S, Phisitkul P, Femino JE, Amendola A. Triceps surae contracture: Implications for foot and ankle surgery. J Am Acad Orhtop Surg. 2013 Jul;21(7):398-407.
- Chen JL, Allen CR, Stephens TE, Haas AK, Huston LJ, Wright RW, Feeley BT; Multicenter ACL Revision Study (MARS) Group. Differences in mechanisms of failure, intraoperative findings, and surgical characteristics between single- and multiple-revision ACL reconstructions: a MARS cohort study. Am J Sports Med. 2013 Jul;41(7):1571-8.
- Hettrich CM, Dunn WR, Reinke EK; MOON Group, Spindler KP. The rate of subsequent surgery and predictors after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: two- and 6-year follow-up results from a multicenter cohort. Am J Sports Med. 2013 Jul;41(7):1534-40.
- Marijnissen AC, Hoekstra MC, Pré BC, van Roermund PM, van Melkebeek J, Amendola A, Maathuis P, Lafeber FP, Welsing PM. Patient characteristics as predictors of clinical outcome of distraction in treatment of severe ankle osteoarthritis. J Orthop Res. 2013 Aug 27.
- Veljkovic A, Norton A, Salat P, Saltzman C, Femino J, Phisitkul P, Amendola A. Lateral talar station: A clinically reproducible measure of sagittal talar position. Foot Ankle Int. 2013 Aug 21.
- Barg A, Amendola A, Beaman DN, Saltzman CL. Ankle joint distraction arthroplasty: Why and how? Foot Ankle Clin. 2013 Sep;18(3):459-70.
- Phisitkul P, Tennant JN, Amendola A. Is there any value to arthroscopic debridement of ankle osteoarthritis and impingement? Foot Ankle Clin. 2013 Sep;18(3):449-58.
- Smoot MK, Amendola A, Cramer E, Doyle C, Kregel KC, Chiang HY, Cavanaugh JE, Herwaldt LA. A cluster of exertional rhabdomyolysis affecting a Division I football team. Clin J Sport Med. 2013 Sep;23(5):365-372.
- Arunakul M, Amendola A, Gao Y, Goetz JE, Femino JE, Phisitkul P. Tripod index: A new radiographic parameter assessing foot alignment. Foot Ankle Int. 2013 Oct;34(10):1411-1420.
- Pugely AJ, Lu X, Amendola A, Callaghan JJ, Martin CT, Cram P. Trends in the use of Total Ankle Replacement and ankle arthrodesis in the United States Medicare population. Foot Ankle Int. 2013 Oct 31 [epub ahead of print].
- Westermann RW, Sybrowsky C, Ramme AJ, Amendola A, Wolf BR. Three-dimensional characterization of the femoral footprint of the posterior cruciate ligament. Arthroscopy. 2013 Nov;29(11):1811-1816.
- Smoot MK, Cavanaugh JE, Amendola A, West DR, Herwaldt LA. Creatine kinase levels during preseason camp in National Collegiate Athletic Association Division-I football athletes. Clin J Sport Med. 2013 Dec 16 [epub ahead of print].
- Amendola A. Outcomes of open surgery versus nonoperative management of acute Achilles tendon rupture. Clin J Sport Med. 2014 Jan;24(1):90-91.
- Wolf BR, Ramme AJ, Britton CL, Amendola A, MOON Knee Group. Anterior Cruciate Ligament tunnel placement. J Knee Surg. 2014 Jan 10 [epub ahead of print].
- Amendola A (editor). Evolving Strategies in Diagnosis and Treatment of Tendinopathy. ISAKOS, 2003.
- Bonnin M, Amendola A, Bellemans J, MacDonald SJ, Menetrey J (Editors). The Knee Joint: Surgical Techniques and Strategies. Springer, 2011.
- Amendola A, Stone J (Editors). AANA Advanced Arthroscopy Series: Foot and Ankle. Elsevier, 2010.
- Johnson D, Field L, Scaglione N, Amendola A, Richmond J. (Editors). Operative Arthroscopy 3rd Edition. Wolters-Kluwer, 2010. Also translated in Spanish.
- Johnson D, Amendola A, Barber F, Field L, Richmond J, Scaglione N. (Editors). Operative Arthroscopy 4rd Edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 2012.
Fellows/Fellow Associates Supervision
- Michelle Wolcott; Fellow; Sports Medicine; 08/01/01 - 07/31/02
- Soheil Najibi; Fellow; Sports Medicine; 08/01/02 - 07/31/03
- Phinit Phisitkul; Fellow; Foot and Ankle; 03/01/03 - 07/15/06
- L.R.Wasserman; Fellow Associate; Foot and Ankle; 08/01/03 - 07/31/04
- Mark Richardson; Fellow; Sports Medicine; 10/06/03 - 12/13/03
- G. Michael Blanchard; Fellow Associate; Foot and Ankle; 08/01/04 - 07/31/05
- Morgan Jones; Fellow; Sports Medicine; 08/01/04 - 07/31/05
- Michael Salamon; Fellow Associate; Foot and Ankle; 08/01/04 - 07/31/05
- Jeff Junko; Fellow Associate; Foot and Ankle; 08/01/05 – 01/31/06
- Bryce Bederka; Fellow; Sports Medicine; 08/01/06 – 07/31/07
- David Vasconcellos; Fellow; Sports Medicine; 08/01/07 - 07/31/08
- Kristopher Alderink; Fellow; Sports Medicine; 08/01/08 – 07/31/09
- Alan Hammond; Fellow Associate; Foot and Ankle; 01/15/09 – 07/15/09
- Gladys Chan; Fellow Associate; Foot and Ankle; 07/01/09 – 12/31/09
- Keith Wolstenholme; Fellow; Sports Medicine; 08/01/09 – 07/31/10
- Mark McConkey; Fellow; Sports Medicine; 08/01/10 – 07/31/11
- Andrea Veljkovic; Fellow; Foot and Ankle; 08/16/10 - 08/15/11
- Grant Bowman; Fellow; Sports Medicine; 08/01/12 – 07/31/2013
- Joshua Tennant; Fellow; Foot and Ankle; 08/01/12 – 07/31/2013
Visiting Associates/Postdoctoral Research Scholars Supervision
- Yuki Tochigi; Visiting Assistant Professor; Foot and Ankle; 07/16/01 - 10/09/04
- Dawson Muir; Scholar/Trainee; Foot and Ankle; 01/01/02 - 11/01/02
- Keun-Bae Lee; Postdoctoral Research Scholar; Foot and Ankle; 03/01/03 - 08/22/04
- Jin-Soo Suh; Postdoctoral Research Scholar; Foot and Ankle; 08/10/03 - 12/01/04
- Ludowico Panarella; Postdoctoral Research Scholar; Sports Medicine; 08/02/04 - 12/18/04
- Baris Kocaoglu; Visiting Associate; Sports Medicine; 09/25/06 - 01/01/07
- Eugenio Savarese; Visiting Associate; Sports Medicine; 01/08/07 - 08/17/07
- Jorge Payo Rodrigues; Visiting Associate; Sports, Hip & Knee, Shoulder; 07/30/07 – 09/29/07
- Tanawat Vaseenon; Visiting Associate; Foot and Ankle; 07/01/08 – 06/30/10
- Davide Bonasia; Visiting Associate; Sports Medicine; 01/20/09 - 03/31/09
- Alan Hammond; Fellow Associate; Foot and Ankle; 01/15/09 – 07/15/09
- Sami Abdulmassih; Visiting Associate; Sports Medicine; 05/04/09 - 05/24/09
- Gladys Chan; Fellow Associate; Foot and Ankle; 07/01/09 – 12/31/09
- Bartosz Paprota; Visiting Associate; Sports Medicine; 11/30/09 – 12/13/09
- Davide Bonasia; Visiting Associate; Sports Medicine; 01/04/10 - 09/30/10
- Onur Basci; Visiting Associate; Sports Medicine; 06/01/10 – 07/31/10
- Sami Abdulmassih; Visiting Associate; Sports Medicine; 08/01/10 - 07/31/11
- Mark McConkey; Fellow Associate; Sports Medicine; 08/01/10 – 07/31/11
- Andrea Veljkovic; Fellow Associate; Foot and Ankle; 08/16/10 - 08/15/11
Recent National/International Education Related Presentations
- 53rd Annual Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons Meeting, San Diego, CA. “Walk This Way: Challenges in Foot and Ankle Trauma in the Military Warrior” (instructional course lecture), “Sports Magic in the Small Joints: What does the Future Hold for Small Joint Arthroscopy in Military Patients” (instructional course lecture), “Ankle Instability—How to Optimize Return to High Function in Young, Active Patients,” “Foot and Ankle Scientific Session” (moderator). December 12-16, 2011.
- 33rd Annual Robert W. Metcalf Arthroscopic Surgery 2012, Scottsdale, AZ. “ACL Reconstrcution” (surgical demonstration), “PCL Reconstruction Indications and Techniques,” “Where Does Patello Femoral Arthroplasty Fit In?,” “Evaluation, Plan, and Performance of Osteotomy.” January 14-17, 2012.
- AAOS Educational Sessions, 2012 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA. “Osteochondral Lesions of the Talus: Current Treatment Dilemmas,” “Managing the Active Patient with Knee Arthritis: Delaying or Preventing Arthroplasty,” “Management of Complex Foot and Ankle Injuries in the Athlete.” February 7-11, 2012.
- AOFAS Specialty Day, San Francisco, CA. “Lower Limb Alignment Compensation of Knee Deformity Occurs Through the Subtalar Joint.” February 11, 2012.
- 7th Annual Current Advances in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Trauma, Naples, FL. “Osteotomy vs. Uni,” “Patellofemoral Resurfacing,” “Ankle Replacement vs. Arthodesis.” March 15-18, 2012.
- 10th Biennial Canadian Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Symposium, Toronto, ON. “Ankle Cases” (panel discussion), “Management of Syndesmosis/High Ankle Sprains.” April 20-21, 2012.
- Twentieth Century Orthopaedic Association 67th Annual Meeting, Bretton Woods, NH. “Rhabdomyolysis: Lessons Learned from a Cluster of 13 Cases on a Division I Football Team, University of Iowa.” August 9-11, 2012.
- Arthroscopy Association of North America 31st Fall Course, Phoenix, AZ. “Open or Closed? Allo or Autograft? Newest Technique and Fixation Options to Avoid Complications.” November 8-10, 2012.
- Internation Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Symposium, Presented by AAOS and AOFAS, Orlando, FL. “Intrasubstance Disease: How Much to Remove, and When You Remove Too Much,” “Posterior Ankle and Subtalar Arthroscopy: Reach Around Back,” “Can the Correction be Performed Through the Medial Column Only?” “Sawbones: Osteotomies for Flatfoot,” “Why Can’t I Just Brace It? Case Presentations/Discussion (moderator). November 29-December 1, 2012.
- 9th Biennial ISAKOS Congress, Toronto, Canada. “Ankle Ligament Lesions,” (lecture); “Biological vs. Metal Solutions for Early Osteoarthritis: A Case Based Approach,” (symposia); “Orthopaedic Management of Ankle Instability,” (lecture); “Osteotomy for Joint Restoration: Current Evidence and Outcome,” (presentation); “Meniscal Allograft Transplantation,” (presentation). May 12-16, 2013.
- University of Chattanooga, Chattanooga, Tennessee, December, 1994
Current Treatment of Ankle and Pillion Fractures
Chronic Ankle & Hindfoot Pain in Athletes
- University of Toronto, Sport Medicine Grand Rounds, January, 1996
Chronic Ankle Pain and Instability in Athletes
- Galway Lecturer, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, November, 1997
The importance of Limb Alignment in Foot and Ankle Disorders
Pes Planus in the Adult Complications of Foot and Ankle Surgery
- University of Ottawa, Ottawa Civic Hospital, February, 1997
Ankle Arthroscopy Workshop
Knee Alignment and Instability
- Yabsley Day Visiting Professor, Dalhousie University, November, 1998
Foot and Ankle Surgery: Avoiding Pitfalls.
- Ohio State University, January, 2002
Chronic Ankle Pain and Instability.
- Programme D’Orthopedie Edouard-Samson, Hopital Du Sacre-Couer. Montreal,
Quebec. November 7 and 8, 2002.
Approach to Meniscal Injuries and the Post Meniscectomy Knee
Evolving Strategies in the Management of Ankle Injuries
- Duke University, Hark Visiting Lecturer, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery,
March 7-8, 2004
- Broadlawn's Medical Center,Visiting Professor. Des Moines, IA. Oct. 21, 2004.
Knee Ligament Injuries.
- Veterans Administration Medical Center, Des Moines, IA. Nov. 14, 2006.
Osteoarthritis of the Knee or Ankle
- Emory University, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, November 26, 2004
- University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. Sept. 20, 2006
Knee Realignment and Instability
- University of Vermont, Visiting Professor, Burlington, VT. Oct. 5-6, 2006
Osteotomy Combined with Meniscal/Articular Resurfacing; ACL Revision High Risk Stress Fractures of Foot and Ankle
Achilles Tendinoplasty; Osteochondral Lesions of Talus: From Excision to Resurfacing
Chronic Ankle Instability: Current Concepts.
- Steadman Hawkins Foundation. Dec 19, 2006.
Complex Knee reconstruction
- University of Calgary Visiting professor. March 2007
Knee alignment and reconstruction
Posterior ankle and subtalar arthroscopy
Academic medicine: Canadian vs American systems
- University of Utah, Feb. 27, 2008
Approach to the ‘Complex Knee
- University of Pittsburgh Visiting Professor Sept 2008
Ankle and Subtalar Arthroscopy for Foot and ankle Disorders in Athletes
- University of Connecticut Visiting Professor May 2010
Unicompartmental OA in the Active patient
Hands on Laboratory with the residents on Hindfoot arthroscopy
- McGill University Montreal Visiting Professor March 30-April 2, 2011
- Stanford University Residents Day visiting Professor June 22-25, 2011
- 50th Annual Carl E. Badgley Lecture, University of Michigan Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sept 8, 2011.
Progress in Arthroscopic Surgery around the Foot and Ankle Unicompartmental Osteoarthritis of the Knee
- 10th World Congress of the International Cartilage Repair Society, May 13, 2012
- Garrick Lecture University of Washington, Seattle Aug 22, 2012
8th Annual Walgreen Foundation Lecture in Sports Medicine, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Chicago, IL.
ACL Tunnel Anatomy and Variation
Unicompartmental Knee OA in the Young Patient
Offices held in professional organizations
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery ( ABOS)
2008-present Oral examiner
2009-present Board of Directors
2012-2013 Chair Written Exam Committee
American Orthopaedic Society of Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
1998-2005 - Traveling Fellowship Committee
2000-2004 -Program Committee
2000-2006 - Council of Delegates
2001-2005 - Chair, Traveling Fellowship Committee
2003-2004 - Chair Program Committee
2005-present - ABOS / AOSSM Task Force on the Specialty Examination
2006 - Nominating Committee
2007-2008 - Chair ad Hoc Committee on Continuing Education
2009-present - Chair Fellowship Committee
2010-present - Board of Directors / Treasurer
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
1995-1998 - Clinical Policy Committee on Pes Planus and Hallux Valgus
1995-1998 - Ankle Algorithm Committee
2008-2013 - Program Committee
2010-2011 - Chair, Program committee
2009-2013 - Central Program Committee
2009-2012 - ORS- AAOS Co Programming Committee
2010-present - Deputy Editor Journal Of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (JAAOS)
2012-present - Board of Directors
International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS)
1998-2005 - Sports Medicine Committee
2001-2005 - Chair, Sports Medicine Committee
2001-2006 - Program Committee
2005-present - ISAKOS member on Journal Board of trustees
2007-present - Executive Committee / Board of Directors
2007-present - Knee Committee
2007-present - Strategic Planning Committee
Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
2001-2004 - Committee on Health Policy and Practice
2002-2005 - Orthopaedic Learning Center Committee
2005-present - Arthroscopy Journal Board of Trustees
2006-2010 - Education Committee
2007-2010 - Board of Directors
American foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS)
2007 - Co-chair Comprehensive Course on Sports Injuries of the Foot and Ankle
2009 - Chair Comprehensive Course on Sports Injuries of the Foot and Ankle
2009-2010 - Education Committee
Ontario Orthopaedic Association
1998-2001 - Program Chairman
1997-2001 - Board of Directors
Canadian Academy of Sport Medicine (CASM)
1993 –1997 - Membership Chairman
1993 –1997 - Examiner, CASM Diploma in Sport Medicine
1996 –1998 - Board of Directors
1997 - President
1998 - Past President
1998-2001 - Chair, National Team Selection Committee
Canadian Orthopaedic Association ( COA)
1998 to 2001 - Education Committee
1998 -2001 - Finance Committee
1996 -97 - Local Arrangements Committee
1996 -2001 - Chairman, Foot and Ankle Instructional Courses
1999 – 2001 - Local Arrangements Chair 2001 Annual Meeting
Editorial Board Memberships
- 2010- 2012 - Deputy Editor Journal of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- 1996- present - Associate Editor, Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- 1996 – presentAssociate Editor, Foot & Ankle International
- Since 2002 - Editorial Board, Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Review
- 2002-2003 - Editorial Board, Osteoarthritis and Cartilage
- 2003-present - Editorial Advisory Board, The Journal of Knee Surgery
- 2005-2010 - International Editorial Board, European Journal of Knee Surgery - Arthroscopy and Sports Trauma
- 2011-present - International Advisory Board Italian Journal of Orthopedics and Traumatology
Memberships on Review Panels, Journals
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- American Journal of Sport Medicine
- Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research
- Foot and Ankle International
- Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery
- Osteoarthritis and Cartilage
- Physician and Sports Medicine
- Journal of Orthopaedic Research
- CURRICULUM VITAE Annunziato Amendola, M.D.