Family and Friends: How Do You Cope?
People cope with stressful situations in different ways. What works for one person may not be helpful to another. We hope some of these suggestions will help you get through this difficult time.
- Express your feelings. Discuss your positive and negative feelings with family members, friends, clergy, and members of the healthcare team.
- Be kind to yourself. Take time for a walk or have a meal with a friend. Also, try to leave the hospital for a meal or a restful night's sleep. By taking care of your own needs, you will be more prepared to respond to the patient's needs.
- When someone offers to help, accept the offer. Try to be specific about how this person can help.
- Write important information down in a journal or notebook. Also try to keep records and information together in a file for easy reference.
- Rotate family visitation. If you need or want to leave the hospital, you may want to have someone stay with the patient so you can feel reassured the patient is not alone.