The Department faculty have occupied many of the most prestigious and important positions in the specialty of orthopaedics including presidencies of the Orthopaedic Research Society, the American Orthopaedic Association, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the American Society for Biomechanics, and multiple other orthopaedic specialty societies.
- Six presidents of the ORS
- Three presidents of the American Orthopaedic Association
- Three presidents of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Two presidents of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons – Three Directors of the ABOS
- Two presidents of the American Society for Biomechanics
- Presidents of the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society, the Cervical Spine Research Society, the Hip Society, the Mid-American
- Orthopaedic Society, the Iowa Orthopaedic Society & the Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons
In addition, faculty have won every major research award in orthopaedic surgery, many of them multiple times.
- Nine Kappa Delta Awards, Four Harris Hip Awards, Four AOA Zimmer Life Time Achievement Awards & Three ORS/AAOS Shands Awards
- Editors of the Journal of Biomechanics, the Journal of Orthopaedic Research and Spine
- JBJS: two members of the board of trustees, two editorial board members, two members of the Board of Consulting Editors for Research
- Four ABC Traveling Fellows & two ASG Traveling Fellows
- Member of the Institute of Medicine National Academy of Sciences